Saturday, August 7, 2010

What I did today.

Today was a pretty good day. I didn't get to any creating yet but hope to after this short blog post. I had an idea to create some better packaging for my jewelry so I got to work on it. I'm pretty happy with what I came up with. I had some card stock paper laying around from I don't even know when or what and I have quite a bit of it so I decided to use it as packaging for my jewelry. I made earring and necklace cards to help protect it while it is being stored and for safer shipping.
The first thing I had to do was measure the bags I use and make a template out of the card stock.

I have small bags for earrings and large for everything else so I had to make two different sizes. Then I fitted the templates in the bags to make sure they fit. Then simply traced the template on the card stock and cut on the lines. This would have been a lot faster and easier if I had a paper cutter. To attach the necklaces to the card stock I simply cut slits in it and slipped the chain into it.
Then put it in the bag, and voila! Nice packaging that will help protect the jewelry from tangling while being stored or shipped.For the earring cards I used a hole punch to punch a hole in the card and hung the earrings from the hole, I used a small piece of tape on the back to secure it. I don't recommend using the earring to punch holes in the card as it could bend the ear wires out of shape but something like a safety pin or sewing needle would also work well.


So now I have all of my jewelry stored away safely and when it finds a new home it will have a safer journey there. Plus it looks a lot nicer than just being crumpled up in the bottom of a zipper bag. This project was free for me because I already had the card stock but I imagine it would be relatively inexpensive depending on what kind of paper you choose.


No comments: